Day 6: Orcas and High Wind delay passage onwards

Purple Mist
Skipper: Kate Cope
Wed 21 Sep 2022 21:19

Day 6: Passage to A Coruna cancelled today due to high risk of Orcas combined with 30kt winds. We will go tomorrow when the winds are much lighter though sadly the Orcas will still be there.

The plan is to go in a flotilla of about 5 boats from this marina. I’m “tooled up” as they say though as any measures are prohibited then sadly Its probably unwise to describe on social media my defence strategy. The official guidance is to turn off your engine and just wait until they have chewed your rudder to bits. Safe to say we will be more proactive. They don’t like noise so one more creative measure I have set up is to blast heavy metal music through the hull next to the rudders.

It’s so sad that it’s come to this as one of the things I love about sailing is all the wildlife - birds, dolphins and whales. However these Orcas have learnt some really strange behaviours that don’t even seem to get them any reward. At least the Antarctic Orcas on Frozen planet get a seal for dinner.

Anyway Ria Viveiro is not too shabby we had a nice meal last night in a local tapas bar. Also a chance to try and fix my external handheld aerial connection though the backup is working.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

Back up aerial stuck on top of the iPad mount