andromeda of plymouth
Susan and Andrew Wilson
Mon 17 Aug 2009 09:56

42�45.940 08�56.920

We had a bright early start to the day and left our anchorage at 8am just as it was getting light, we motored out from Camarinos and got the sails up. It was a glorious morning and wind started to build nicely. As we approached Cape Finisterre we had 25 to 30 knots of wind behind us and was belting along nicely and then literally as we rounded the Cape it was as if someone had turned the wind machine off as we suddenly had only 4knots.  We played around with our wind vane but you do need some wind to make it work, put sails out, in, out,  practically did the hokey cokey and  then decided to have lunch and put the motor on......not what we were expecting at all. 

However during our lazy drift along we saw some sun fish, very wierd creatures that appeared to be waving at us as we went past (they first looked like tiny sharks or dolphins but were moving much too slowly). We also saw lots of crabs swimming along too.

We then had the challenge of getting someone to answer either the phone or the radio, I carefully wrote out what I wanted to say but no one wanted to hear, Andrew picked up the hand held and got a response straight away and in English. Anyway we were soon moored up in Portosin and made very welcome by the very helpful and delightful marina staff.

Now we did a bit of tourism, and on Thursday went off to Santiago de Compostela for the day. They are very laid back in Spain, and even though the bus was 15 minutes late no one seemed at all surprised or worried. We got off at the bus station in Noia and caught another one to Santiago, going up through the hills and green countryside to the city to a fairly deserted bus station. Getting directions was fun, and asking for help even more fun but we made it to the centre and looked around the Cathedral. It was quite mind blowing, it is so old, and so huge with so many parts to it and gold everywhere. We were surprised at the sheer amount of pilgrims of all ages around  the city. Some with rucksacks on their backs, walking sticks with shells with crosses on, singly and in groups  and even some on bikes, many singing as they made their way to the Cathedral.

We had lunch in a plaza off the Cathedral and then headed off back the way we came successfully negotiating the buses again and even getting some shopping on the way. Once back in Portosin we went for a walk to the beach and I had a paddle in the Atlantic Ocean, brrrrrrrrrr.......but as it was so hot very refreshing as well and a nice end to the day.

Internet Explorer 8 - accelerate your Hotmail. Download Internet Explorer 8