La Coruna.........perhaps not today!

Zipadedoda of Dart
David H Kerr
Fri 11 Aug 2006 16:52

Rias de Corme y Lage


We are now anchored off the beach in Corme, on the north shore, in a space between the beach and floating mussel beds. As mentioned in the previous diary entry, the “plan” had been to go around the corner to La Coruna today. Some 60 nm.  When we got up this morning at 0600 the weather was dire, and so was the forecast from the French Met office. So we went back to bed. At around 0800 the wind dropped off so we decided to “get our kit on” and go for it.


To start with it was OK, 20 to 25 knots, but as the trip went on the wind and the seas grew in strength and height. Beating into that was not fun and it is quite tiring. 10 to 12 hours of it was not what we wanted. So we decided to head for the Ria where we are now. Our position is 43 degrees 21 mins North 8 degrees 57 mins West.


Sadly this Ria is also suffering from smoke from the forest fires, but otherwise it looks like a small underdeveloped spot.  There are currently around 12 yachts all in here seeking refuge. Spanish, Dutch, French and German, plus at least three Brits.


It is quite hard to take pictures when you are in a rough sea, but today I did my best to get over the drama of the action we have been seeing whilst we bash our way north, up the Spanish coast. Hopefully the attached picture will convey what we have been enjoying……You can also see the smoke haze in the background..(Note. taking pictures of waves breaking over the boat from the bow is not very good for the camera, or me for that matter)!!


Today’s great news is that the remedial work on the hatches paid off. Not a drop of water got through today. Praise be for dry beds.


It is around 40nm to La Coruna from here. On the assumption that the weather does not deteriorate any further we shall leave here first thing tomorrow. There are no more safe havens between here and La Coruna, so we shall be very careful about our decision whether or not to go. Right now, it is gusting 30 knots, even in this sheltered spot, so it will be interesting to see what is in store for us tomorrow.






JPEG image