Georgetown Springtime.

Ambler Isle
V and S
Sun 24 Apr 2011 17:22
April 21, 2011
The full moon is spectacular this month. Huge, yellow, very close to earth.  As usual, the full moon, and the new moon, increase the tides by nearly a foot either way. 
We finally got a hogfish, aka Hog Snapper.  No, we did not spear it ourselves.  Jim and Janie, aboard Pirate, bought a big hogfish from the Long Island fisherman Danny, aboard Lady Stephanie.  Danny came to Georgetown selling fish for the upcoming Family Island Regatta that starts next week.  It cost him $15, and he kindly offered to share it with us.  After basting the whole fish with olive oil and Paul Prudhomme's special seasoning, he grilled it to a crispy brown.  Served with a fresh salad and my homemade french bread it was a spectacular dinner. 
Regatta racing skiffs arrive daily. Some are towed by other boats, others stacked aboard cargo ships for delivery.  They now dot Kidd Cove.  Crew arrive daily, and the food shacks at the Regatta Point are nearly constructed.  The local grocery and liquor stores are stocked to overflowing.  By Wednesday, hundreds of people will flood the town from all over the Bahamas to cheer for their teams.
Easter is a big holiday in the Bahamas.  Everything closes for Good Friday.  After reopening for one day on Saturday, they reclose Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.  Cruisers are left to amuse themselves at this time.  They do this with even more potluck dinners ashore, boat parties, beach picnics. 
 We went to  the Flip Flop Shop Beach on Friday.  Although this is a clothing optional beach during the busy season here, few people use it that way this late in the season.  As we rounded the point,  we spotted Jim and Janie bobbing in the water by their dinghy.  We anchored nearby and played a few rounds of Splash ball.  Soon Bob and Penny from Pretty Penny pulled up and waded in the warm clear waters with us.  Before long, another couple, Vicky and Bob from First Look arrived.  After a couple hours in the water, I was actually chilled and had to get out. Immediately the hot sun beat down on me.  It was time to leave.  We saw Chris and Irina, from Auriga by the Queen's Dock and stopped to say, "Hi."  Tide was very low, and I had to reach to tie the dinghy to the piling.  As I stretched out, the dinghy drifted away from the dock.  When I could no longer stay with the boat, I grasped the dock with both hands and tried to hang on.  Finally I could hold no longer and let go, going feet first into the water.  I often fear that could happen, but in all the years of boating it didn't.  Til today.