South West

Moxie - Beck Family Adventure
Mike, Denise, Asia and Aranya Beck
Sat 29 Mar 2014 23:54
We are in the Pacific, anchored at the end of the causeway of the Panama Canal. We have stocked up big time on things that will be expensive or difficult to obtain in the Pacific. We had a spot of luck in that our generator impeller pump for he generator packed up and sprang a major leak. The luck part was that it happened here and I have been able to get it rebuilt.

Sudoeste are anchored with us now, the girls are having an early birthday & sleepover party on Sudoeste for Emily who will turn 9 on passage to Galapogas.

Because of regulations We will only be allowed to visit one island in the Galapogas and not move the boat even within that island. We won't know how long we can stay for until we check in, the port master can assign us between 3 and 20 days at his discretion. We MUST use and pay an agent to clear in but none will answer email and in total the fees will be about usd1000 we think, regardless of the length of stay granted. Each island has its own issues for and against so we need to decide now where to go. One consideration is seal ions which will and do colonise boats with swim platforms, in our case they will be able to come right into the cockpit. Seal lions stink and make mess! Other anchorages are not well protected, others have clearing in issues. Our Current winner is different to Sudoeste (a monowobbler) as they like shelter and can easily keep sealions off. Will decide in next few days.

We have spotted a few sloth, they sleep in the trees around the marina, next door is a smithsonian institute which is where they live.

Mike, Denise, Asia and Aranya Beck
SV Moxie