Dartmouth - up river at Dittisham

St Barbara's Web Diary
Peter & Sue Goldsmith
Mon 6 Jul 2009 16:26

50:22.83N 4:35.46W

12.00 6th July

The good news is that the skipper has spared me from the ensign (flag)
incident and I am now back on the crew list.

We left Salcombe Sunday morning after provisioning and headed east to
Dartmouth with strong winds forecast for the later part of the day and yes
they arrived! We were averaging 6.5 knots all the way, St Barbara was flying
with genny sails only. No boats to race or chase this time. We arrived in
Dartmouth under black clouds and strong winds at around 5pm. Motored up to
Dittisham (pronounced Dittsam by the locals) to find all buoys taken and
rafts. Not keen on that we come further down the river and anchored for the
night. A wonderful crab supper thanks to the fish shop in Salcombe dodging
the showers and watching the clouds race across the sky, we had made up our
minds we were going nowhere tomorrow (Monday).

Monday morning after a night of heavy showers brought more black clouds and
rain. We managed to encourage a boat off a mooring and grabbed it for the
night right outside the pub. Off we went on a hike from Dittisham to
Dartmouth with picnic. Somewhere along the way we lost the track and ended
in a lovely wood but with only one entrance in and out. We managed to walk
all around the wood until we realised this so extended our walk by a couple
of hours. Back on track and up and down another 1/3 hill or two and we were
in Dartmouth, all thoughts of walking home the other side of the river faded
away and we took the water taxi back to St Barbara and afternoon tea of
scones and jam, no clotted cream this time.

Watching the weather forecast closely, but think we will stay here another
day which could be tough, may have to go on another major hike tomorrow.