Muros - definitely
St Barbara's Web Diary
Peter & Sue Goldsmith
Sun 21 Jun 2009 16:58
17.00 21st June
Well this time we made it. Weather forecasts are only forecasts, as we find
so often. The forecast gale appeared on cue and the wind was due to blow all
day but here we are on a millpond. Not a breath. Looking at our log of 2003
when we were here, we noted that it looked like a Swiss lake and it is just
like that this afternoon.
Back to our plan. When we anchored yesterday afternoon it was blowing, but
we moved close in to the shore and anchored off a long sandy beach with
plenty of tourists enjoying the warm sunshine. A fine breeze, as my Cornish
sailing colleagues would have said. The First Mate produced another tasty
dish of excellent sausages, peppers, onions and potatoes (based upon Jamies
chipolatas in red wine and onions - he doesn't have names for his dishes but
they are good) and we watched the sun go down sometime after 10pm.
An hour later the wind was up to 25-28 knots and by midnight was well over
30 knots - a gale. Sometime after 1.30 with stars shining bright the snubber
line on the anchor chain parted with a bang. This essential item protects
the anchor windlass and had to be replaced. The skipper woke the First
Mate - yes he was still asleep ( I had my earplugs in!)- and with the engine
running to take the strain off the chain, we managed to replace it. FM went
back to bed ( as instructed) and the skipper remained on anchor watch.
Later as the wind abated a little it was time for some sleep.
Sunday meant a late breakfast, fortunately, and we were treated to eggs,
bacon (last of) and tomatoes. The wind was still blowing so a few more jobs
got done (this is an understatement!) while we waited. By lunchtime we
decided to take a chance and try. As it happened, the most wind we had was
in our sheltered anchorage. As the three hour passage to Muros went on the
wind became less and less until, at our arrival there is none! Speaking to
yacht just rounded Cape Finisterre and he said it was fine with only 10
knots of wind.
So with that, we will be ashore this evening to eat and check out our
shopping. Tomorrow morning with the shopping complete we will be off across
the "Bay". That at least is the plan. By the way, we will be out of
communication range for a few days until touchdown in France or even
England, but we will be back! We plan to be in Fowey on Friday or Saturday,
perhaps see you there? That is the plan.
PS: Culinary Notes-For those contemplating long sea voyages, FM refers you
to the excellent book '' Provisioning for Dummies '' by Al Waysful - the
gist of which is ensure that the skipper's stomach is always full.