Day 7 - Cooler water and dolphin
Tue 12 May 2015 17:14
Date: Tuesday 12/05/14 - Time: 12:10 EDT|
Position 32:22.433N 71:25.501W
COG 324M SOG 4.6kt, Wind 198T 9 kt,
Temperatures: Air 29C, Sea 20.2C, Humidity 71%
Barometer: 1013 mB
Last 24h Sailed Distance: 109 NM
Last 24h Decrease Distance on rhumb line: 103 NM
Sailed distance since departure: 943 NM
Time since departure: 7d 0h 01m
Average Speed since departure: 5.57 kt
Average VMG since departure: 5.41 kt
Average VMG speed last 24h: 4.28 kt
Intention: sail to Chesapeake Bay
Distance to End on rhumb line: 359 NM
ETA: Saturday May 16, 2015
Detailed Track (50 is the maximum number of point, i.e. once the last point reaches 50, the last point always is 50):
The cold front separating two high pressure system is about to enter the Atlantic and after it will passe Blue Note (sometime tomorrow early afternoon)
the wind was going to shift 180 degree from South to North.
As was pointed out yesterday, we can't reach the Golf Stream before the cold front and so we are left with a North wind against the Gulf Stream current.
COAMPS grib file predicts wind at 19 kts and although would be possible to cross the Gulf Stream with such a wind is going to make it definitely rough.
If tomorrow forecast are confirm we will probably need to slow down even more to wait that the North wind will decrease.
Nothing wrong with waiting except that it will delay a bit the arrival at Oxford Md boat yard for the haul out and it
will need to be done at the earliest Monday May 18.
On the other hand the weather is beautiful and sunny, although getting a bit colder every day, and I can continue my magazine reading
and little bit of fix-up work. Like hopefully having found and fixed the source of water leak into the the fore cabin when the boat is heeling hard on port tack.
Weather map showing the approaching cold front
Screen capture of video made with GoPro Hero3+ of dolphin come to visit Blue Note last night before sunset
An happy couple of dolphin dancing at the bow of Blue Note