St Lucia to St Vincent (Wallilabou)

Imagine Of Falmouth Online Log
Jon Constantine
Sun 15 Jun 2008 15:01
St Vincent here we come.  We've decided to head for Wallilabou and stay overnight as we don't feel like doing an overnight sail to Bequia plus we've decided that as long as we are careful and keep alert we shouldn't have a problem in this particular bay.  We hauled anchor and were underway by just after 7.30am.  What a great sail.  The wind was on the beam varying between 15 and 20 knots.  We had one reef in the main but still managed a top speed of 7.2 knots.  We didn't even bother with the auto-pilot (as we would do a lot of the time) and took turns helming all the way.  The only downside to the day was not catching our dinner!  Lots of flying fish around but no bites for us.

As we approached Wallilabou we were met by 'Mr Davis' in his rowing boat.  He advised us that it was too deep to anchor here but we could pick up a ball for $EC20 and so with his help we did just that and on further advice we also tied a stern line out to one of the piles of a broken old dock.  All secure by just after 3pm.  So far so good. 

All on our own in this pretty little bay                                                            Heron

It's a very tranqil, pretty little bay with only a few buildings, a couple of these being part of a film set as this bay was one of the places used for filming Pirates of the Caribbean.  The set looks very realistic from a distance but on closer inspection it obviously hasn't been looked after since filming in 2003, so it all looks a bit decrepit.  Doubt it'll last much longer.  Shame. 

                                                                                    Pirates of the Caribbean film set 
Very hot.  We decided to cool off a bit with a quick snorkel across the bay to the shallows.  Swam through quite a few jelly fish to get there and got a few little stings but nothing major.  Worth it just to see a free swimming Chain Moray Eel and also a Sharp Tailed Eel.   Shame I didn't have my camera.  We also came across a couple of local lads spearfishing, or at least trying to.  More practise needed me thinks. 

So, back to the boat and then ashore to check in at customs.  According to the pilot book someone was supposed to be there from 4 til 5 but noone was there just after 4pm so decided to have a beer in the bar/restaurant next door as we a could see the customs office from there and spot anyone arriving.  The pilot book also said that the owners of this place were very welcoming and it was worth coming ashore to eat here but quite frankly we were all but ignored, apart from when we ordered and paid for our beers.  Not very impressed and decided not to come back for dinner. The customs guy didn't appear either so once we'd finished our beers, we headed back to the boat.  Met a guy called Garfield on the way back to the dinghy, who sold us a huge avocada and some nutmeg for a few ECs.  Nice one.

            The (supposedly) welcoming Restaurant & Bar                                                Funky Theme Bar - Shame about the service

                         We have no idea why one of the buildings was completely full of old telephones.  There were hundreds of them all in rows.  Very weird.

Back on Imagine we watched the sun go down with a GnT followed by a lovely steak dinner.  Who needs to go ashore for a meal when there's such a wonderful chef on board!
And so to bed.  We decided to lock the hatches, with us inside, tonite for the first time ever.  Just a precaution although it doesn't feel unsafe here but you never know.  It was a warm, quiet night with a gentle breeze and we both slept well, only waking up occasionally as you normally do anyway when at anchor and especially when in a new bay.