Alkira - 24 June 2013 - Vannes - N47 39.082 W02 45.491

Charles & Maggie Bevis
Mon 24 Jun 2013 14:32
Only stayed one night in Port de Crouesty, not our kind of place at all, but it enabled Charlie to acquire the tools he needed to repair the mainsail furling gear successfully and quickly too, largely thanks to a very co-operative rigger who loaned the tools he needed to get the job done.

Left after lunch and meandered down to the Gulf de Morbihan and found a very nice peaceful anchorage. The sun decided to come out for a couple of hours in the late afternoon and we had a lovely evening watching the sun set in beautiful calm conditions.

Saturday 22nd - We woke to heavy rain and strong Westerly winds which slowly cleared in the morning. We made our way into Vannes arriving around 5pm and rafted up alongside several British boats who were finishing off their Cruising Association rally here. A really pleasant and friendly group of people. Herve arrived to collect Lottie, but before they left, we all went out for a farewell meal in the old town.

Sunday 23rd - Several boats left this morning but still a colourful group of French, Belgian and Brits remained. Charlie pottered most of the day doing odd jobs whilst Ann and I went for a wander around the old town. Heavy rain during the afternoon but plenty of places to duck in and out of, what a delightful old town it is with so many fascinating old buildings to see.

The clouds lifted toward the evening and we decided to have our evening meal in the cockpit (although we had the 'tent' up as the breeze was still on the chilly side) Sadly dinner was interrupted and the day ended rather badly as one of the rally members became ill and called us for assistance. Inspite of the excellent support provided by the Pompiere Medical Team who arrived extremely quickly, he died later that evening.

Monday 24th - The day dawned with brilliant blue skies, many of the boats left this morning and now only a few Brits remain. We'll be leaving this evening around 6.00 p.m. as the bridge opens at 6.30. Off to anchor hopefully at the same place we found last Friday evening, which will put us in a good position to leave Tuesday morning and catch the tide. Not sure yet where we'll end up as it'll all depend upon the weather and sea conditions. We're hopeful of getting some sunny weather this week as the forecast is presently looking good. We're all desperate to put our warm clothes away.