The Day of the Dolphins

Thu 31 Jul 2008 21:38

We have passed the Scilly Isles and were tempted to take a left for Bermuda but unfortunately skipper ordered us to follow a North-West course for the Arctic.


Café Rouge opened early today – Andy was up around 0530 and got some brews going.  Byrne joined him at about 0615 and before the pair of them could get breakfast underway, they were joined by an agitated Windy.  He placated his nicotine urge by first putting a pot of water on to boil with out any obvious purpose and then proceeded to start fixing some tape… So far he has risen to his “no-more” smoking challenge.  Amazingly, everyone’s head is still intact but we’re all wondering how long it will be before he bites someone’s head off.


For breakfast it certainly appears that the mal de mer has passed as we almost ran out of porridge and the left over ham was quickly devoured with the toast.  After a quick clear up, pumping the bilges (dirty but necessary work), we took advantage of mother’s treat – a piping hot shower! Oh yeah! Can’t beat it!  We say shower, but what we really meant was a quick, desert shower, where it’s water on and get wet, water off, suds on, water on, suds off, water off and done.  One of us even indulged in a shave – attempting to improve his personal ratings with the resuscitation team. Will it work?  Keep reading our blogs to find out…  Not that he plans on needing resuscitation of course!


After the shower, we were all suitably relaxed, the age groups went their separate ways – students to bed, oldies chilling on deck in the sun with coffee and stickies and some great tunes. 



The only interruption to our chilled out mood was the call to see the school of dolphins swimming under and in front of the yacht – a fantastic sight and perfect ending to our mother watch.




After lunch from the White watch (eating establishment yet to be named) it was back to reality – on watch in some light drizzle.  Winds have been minimal and the sea is fairly calm.  What a pain it is motor sailing.  We were rather fortunate to complete our watch at 1600 as just after Blue watch went on deck the heavens opened and we were hit by a monsoon like downpour – somehow they kept smiling. (Below)




Yours, the Red Watch (Andy, Byrne, Linda and Greg).