Tuesday June 29, 2010 7PM
We ended up spending an extra day in Marathon. When we woke
up we were both still tired (I don’t sleep well the first night at an anchorage)
so decided to sleep in and spend the day there.
Another great sail. 6 to 7+ knots most of the way with winds
15-20 knots. I had one of those hard decisions today. We were sailing at 7+
knots towards and squall line. It looked like I would miss it, or at least the
worst of it if we did nothing. In the end I chickened out and dropped some
sails to make sure. And the sailing was going so well.
It also gave me the opportunity to fix my wind generator. I
got the part in Ft Myers, but didn’t try to install it in Key West
because the anchorage was too rough. I needed to stand on the davits to make
the repair so it waited. Anyway one way to get the wind to calm down is to fix
the wind generator. Winds went from 15 knots to less than 10 within minutes of
I had to replace another engine impeller – it sure
didn’t last long. It was one that came with an engine I bought so it may
have been used. The latest one I installed I know hasn’t been used and I’m
wondering if there is a shelf life for impellers. We’ll see how long the
new one lasts.
No picture today, we are anchored behind Rodriguez Kay off
Key Largo and there is nothing but a tree covered island.
New stop is probably Key Biscayne.