This is Anita's update from Martinique where we arrived at about 1400 today
the 21st December.
20th December arrival Roseau (capital of Dominica) where we were ably helped
by our guide Harrison (Jason) of Anchorage to a mooring and then my husband
organised for me to be taken into town by Harrison to locate and purchase
the cruising book for the Windward Islands. We spent an hour going to all
the book shops with no joy at which point I asked to be taken to the one and
only chandler's but we were too late - it was closed. Not to be letting his
client down Harrison did a bit of networking and the owner came out with the
Windward Islands book but it was his own personal copy and it was
2005-2006 - so we had to negotiate and I got the book for half price. By
this time I had asked Harrison where we could eat and he said he would fix
it and collect us at 7.00pm which he did and took us to a wonderful
restaurant on the water called BAMBUZ RESTAURANT & BAR located on Loubiere
Road just a short dingy ride from the moorings. John had T-Bone Steak and I
had chicken spiced up which was delicious. We had the best food and staff
were great and I would recommend that anyone going through should go there.
It is 5 minutes south of the capital and telephone no. is 448 2899 Wheldon
Lawrence and chef Kurku Challenger do a fabulous job- they also run Aldive &
Watersports from the complex (web www.ALDIVE.com).
Had an early start 6.00am in order to get to Martinique before the sail shop
closed, otherwise we would have had to wait until Monday so we got to
Martinique at 1400 and anchored the boat by the fort wall at Fort de France
and started to get the mainsail off to take to Manu Voiles the sailmakers.
John did the hard work and we bagged it and off he went in the dingy to drop
it off at the sailmakers. They will repair the sail and it should be ready
on Monday 24th in the afternoon. Then we got the bad news that John's
father is in hospital so we are going to see how he progresses over the
weekend and make our decision as and when as to whether we carry on or
return to Antigua and thence home. We have three covering plans for those
who may be expecting us elsewhere. a) all being well we will continue to
Bequiea, leaving here on Monday at about mid day after the sail is returned.
b) we will try and find someone to mind the boat here in Fort de France and
both come home if it proves necessary. c) if we can't find a means of
storing the boat, Anita will fly from Martinique and John will take the boat
back to Antigua and fly from there. There is a fourth overarching plan that
if the position is uncertain in Brecon, we will both head back to Antigua
where we have a much more flexible position in terms of abandoning the boat
and access to flights.