In the Navy

Klaus Hympendahl
Sat 20 Dec 2008 08:53
So sicher hatten wir noch nie geankert

Am 18.12.hatten wir ein Viertel Stunde vor Dunkelheit keine 30 m vor einem
Strand geankert. Nicht weit eines Hotels, dass Peter, Rüdiger und Philipp
bereits bei einer Taxirundfahrt kennen gelernt hatten. In den ersten dunklen
Abenstunde machten Phil, Matt und ich uns per Dingi an Land, um endlich
einmal eine kühles Bier im beagten Hotel zu trinken. Wir fuhren an einen
neuen Anleger. Die Kopflampen führten uns eine Strasse entlang, die
irgendwann abbog. Am Ende versperrte ein großes Stahltor den Weg, Links
davon lag eine abgesperrte Sendeanlage; rechts musste irgendwo das Hotel
liegen. Wir kletterten über das Tor und fanden den Weg zum Hotel. Es war ein
großes Hotel mit kaum Gästen. Während wir Fußball schauten, tranken wir ein
paar Bier und aßen. Per UKW Funk baten wir Peter, uns zwei Stunden später
von einer Treppe des Hotels abzuholen. An Bord angekommen, entdeckten wir,
dass das andere Schiff inzwischen hohen Besuch mit Blaulicht hatte. Militär
war an Bord gewesen.
Was war geschehen? Wir waren vor einem der größten Militärcamps gelandet.
Hatten einen Teil des Camps nachts durchwandert, hatten sichere Abgrenzungen
überklettert, sind Sendemasten vorbei gegangen ..... nur um ein paar Bier zu
Am nächsten Tag kam der Kommandant mit seinem Presseoffizier. Sie hörten
sich unsere Beschreibung unserer Lapita-Voyage an, wunderten sich über so
viel Verrücktheit und boten uns ihre Hilfe an. Wir konnten die WCs an Land
benutzen, uns dort duschen, den Abfall entsorgen und ließen uns mit dem
Klein-LKW zum Einkaufen in die Stadt chauffieren. Ein großer Dank geht an
das indonesische Militär auf Biak.
Nachtrag: Das Camp war im II. Weltkrieg ein wichtiges Recreration Camp der
USA.und hieß McArthur Camp.
Einige Offiziere tragen inzwischen in ihrer Freizeit ein
Tag und Nacht stand eine Wache an Land und sicherte uns. Wovor, wissen wir
Heute ist der 20.12.. Wir segeln Richtung Osten, haben die Insel Biak
hintert uns gelassen. Der NW Monsun trägt uns mit ca. 5-6 Knoten unserem 270
sm weitem Ziel - Jayapura - entgegen, wo Bettina und Jean-Pierre Morgen
ankommen werden. Hofentlich schaffen wir es vor Weihnachten!!!
Gestern Abend haben wir unsere Namen auf kleine Zettel aufgeschrieben. Jeder
musste sich einen Zettel aus dem Hut fischen. Den Namen, den er fand,
denjenigen muss er beschenken. Na, dass kann ja heiter werden. Ich glaube so
etwas nennt man Wichteln??
Noch eine letzte Bemerkung: Seitdem die Drei an Bord sind, haben wir die
richtigen Winde. Ein schöneres Weihnachtsgeschenk könnte ich mir nicht
wünschen. Und endlich kommt Positives aus meiner Feder.

In the Navy.....

The trip from Korido to Kota Biak was a bit of a beauty. The winds were fair, the sun not too hot and the rain, when it came, light and refreshing not torrential, blustery and depressing. The coastline was dramatic, all white limestone cliffs and tropical forest stuck to steep hill sides. The sea had carved out small bays at a couple of points and tiny villages had grabbed a foothold. We passed the most remarkable one as we rounded the headland and began our run into Biak. Protected by a shallow lagoon the simple stilt huts it looked incredibly isolated and only accessible by shallow boat. At the eastern end as the cliffs swung back out into the sea was a bright-white, wooden church perched on a plinth cut into the rock 10m above the breakers. It looked pristine. From a few hundred metres out we pondered that it might have been built on a much older fortification, but couldn't be sure and it was too rough and unpredictable to get closer so it's another place for next time.

We got to Kota Biak around dusk, skipping across the long reef that protects the harbour hoping to anchor close to a big, brash hotel that Peter, Philip and Rudi scouted out whilst they'd waited for us to arrive. A massive sea wall protected the new gardens from the elements, but made for a tricky anchorage. We had two options: west of the hotel where half a dozen tuna fishing boats and few rusting freighters sat noisily at anchor; or east to short stretch of beach next to a small pier and what looked like a picnic site. 60 minutes later we were on the pier tying up the dingy and weaving unsteadily on sea legs through the picnic site. A few hundred metres west lay the promise of excellent food and cold drinks.

The noise of the forest soon surrounded us. Disused dirt roads led off to the left and right at regular intervals and I remember thinking how much it reminded me of the disused army base I'd be sent to on a training course by work earlier in the year. We walked on for 10 minutes, increasingly aware that this was not quite working out, then arrived at a crossroads. We headed left towards the only lights we could see, which brought us neatly to a big blue gate which was locked and decorated with barbed wire. 50m away to the left a dozen spotlights illuminated a huge satellite dish, part of a swish-looking telecommunications centre. Oops. We killed the headlamps, hushed our voices, climbed the gate and scuttled off stage right to find the main road leading to the hotel.

The hotel was vast square block. They guy who designed it must also do supermarkets and office blocks. Next to the car park was a football pitch that had seen better days, but the hotel looked new. A few souls rattled around the lobby and restaurant, but it mattered not as the Indonesian food was cracking. We watched Manchester United play Osaka in the FIFA World Club Cup as we ate. United were beating them like a gong. After three cold beers all was well with the world and I was just contemplating a fourth beer when Hanneke called to say that the Indonesian Navy would like a word. Apparently we'd anchored off Lanar Naval Base and the Commander was on his way. They need the pier for an exercise in the morning and just what the hell are we doing there?

I find the sight of flashing blue police lights unnerving at the best of times (guess I have a guilty conscience), but I need not have worried. When the commander our expedition he and his deputy Edi couldn't have been more helpful. The showers and toilets at the picnic site were put at our disposal and they laid on a vehicle to take us into town in the morning to do our shopping. And they posted a guard to take care of our boats whilst we were gone. I hope the commander's Lapita Voyage T-shirt fits OK.

Matt Fletcher