logo Lapita-Voyage
Date: 15 Nov 2008 07:25:05
Title: Gegen Wind und Strom (Beating Against Wind & Current)

N09 57.039 E125 14.707

Gegen Wind und Strom
Wir hatten durch die auf unserer Website beschriebenen Kinderkrankheiten ca.
5 Tage Verzögerung. Dann hat sich auf ganz anderere Weise einiges gegen uns
gewendet. Wir müssen, um in den Pazifik zu kommen und da nach Süden mit
dem NE Monsoon zu segeln, erst einmal nach Osten. Dies erwies sich als SEHR
schwierig. Die ersten 3 Tage hatten wir leichte Winde und Flauten und kamen
nur mit ca. 12 sm am Tag voran. Wir müssen um dern Norden von Mindanao. Dort
gibt es die Surigao-Passage, die nach N bis NE offen ist. Aber genau von
dort kommt der NE Monsun. Normaler Weise würden wir diese ca. 80 sm
aufkreuzen. ABER: Die gewaltigen Wassermengen des Pazifiks werden u.a. an
dieser Stelle durch diese und andere Meeresengen gedrückt, So dass an dieser
Stellefür uns ein Gegenstrom von bis zu 4 Knoten herrscht. Wir haben die
Vollmondphase (hoher Tidenhub, starker Strom). Da sind wir nicht gegenan
gekommen. Ausssichtslos!.
Dann haben wir die Nordspitze von Mindanao angepeilt. Direkt nördlich von
Mindanao gibt es ein Archipel von Inseln.
Wenn man dort durchkommt, spart man sich die Surigao Strasse und kürzt
gewaltig ab. Zwischen diesem Archipel gibt es zwei enge Passagen. Aber
zwischen den in naher Sichtweite liegenden Inseln herrscht ein noch
stärkerer Strom aus E. Der Plan ist, uns dadurchziehen zu lassen.
Wir haben drei Tage und Nächte gegenan gekreuzt und liegen seit gesten Abend
an der Südspitzeder Insel Panaon im Ort Pintuyan, also direkt gegenüber von
der Nordspitze von Mindanao. Wenn wir hier rübersegeln treibt uns der Strom
wieder nach SW.
Zu all dem zieht gerade eine Tieflage (TD = Tropical Depression) durch mit
Warnung für die Fähren. Wir hatten 24 Stunden Regen.
Hier gibt es eine Fähre zum Ort Surigao im N von Mindanao. Die wollen uns am
Sonntag rüberziehen. Von dort würden wir uns einen 2. Schlepp durch dier
Passagen des Insel-Archipels nehmen. Sind wir erst einmal in freien
pazifischenGewässern, segeln wir die 480 sm mit dem NE Monsun raumschots bis
nach Ternate, Indonesien, durch - ohne anzuhalten. Ich schätze, dass wir ca.
2-5 Tage
später als geplant ankommen, um dort die neue Crew aufzunehmen.
Klaus Hympendahl

Beating Against Wind & Current
After a delay of 5 days to make various technical improvements and tweaks to
the boats, the elements decided to conspire against us. To reach the open
waters of the Pacific and then proceed south with the northeast monsoon we
first had to sail east from Bohol against the prevailing winds and difficult
task at any time. Then to reach the Pacific you need to sail through the
Surigao Passage, which opens to north to northeast, exactly the direction
that the northerly monsoon winds come from. Normally you would tack these
80 miles, but the enormous amount of water racing through the passage from
the Pacific means that strong currents are created at speeds of up to 4
knots. To make it more difficult at present there is currently a full moon
phase, which means high tides and even stronger currents. In a nutshell we'd
never make it through the Surigao Passage.
So we changed our plan and aimed for the north tip of Mindanao. Here there's
an archipelago of numerous islands with narrow, short passages between them
that would allow us to go east. It would be easier going we learnt and give
us a short cut of more than 150 miles. Whilst strong currents still race
through these passages, fisherman we met en route suggested that we'll be
able to enlist a little local knowledge there and could, if need be, get a
tow from local motorboat to get us through one of these tricky passages.
But first we had to beat against the wind northeast. Whilst our
Polynesian-inspired boats can sail 50-45 degrees into the wind, for the
first 3 days we had very light winds and patches of no winds. We made only
10-20 miles a day, stopping each evening in small fishing ports on the
southern coast of Bohol. Further west, not far from the coast of Mindanao,
we ran into strong currents that pushed us west. Over the last three days
and two wet, miserable nights we sailed well over 100 nautical miles just to
get 50 miles towards our destination. The northeast winds picked up towards
the end and now there is a strong Tropical Depression for the east coast of
Mindanao. These conditions make it impossible for us to sail the passage
under sail. We have no engines and so we wait in the tranquil Pintuyan Bay
on Panano Island (north of Mindanao) until Sunday when a local ferry boat
will give us a tow to Surigao from where we'll hook up with another boat for
a tow through the passage.
Once into the open waters of the Pacific the days of beating against the
wind will be over for a while and we'll have the northeast winds at our
stern for all the 480 nautical miles to Ternate in Indonesia, but we may
still be delayed by 2-5 days. After this last week it should be smooth
running south. But then you never know...
Klaus Hympendahl


Diary Entries