Thursday 9th September 2010 towards
Left as usual in a flat clam and
motored until mid morning when the breeze arrived. By the time we got to our
anchorage it was blowing 25 knots and a lot of white sea.
We spoke to a couple of Australian
yachts anchored there waiting to return against the wind to Oz. The assured
us that it usually calmed down at night; after a brief crew paw-wow it was
decided to continue on to Kawula.
Not sure if that was the right choice-
it absolutely p*ssed down with lots of lightning around zero visibility, no
moon and loads of fish rafts around. We ended up going another 10 miles
offshore to avoid the rafts, then the wind instruments started to go haywire,
as the wind had dropped. By then we had decided to motor through the
night. I removed one of the GPS and put it in the oven in case of a
lightning strike (Faraday's cage etc.).
Both David and I were
on watch at first, and then Ollie came up. They did not call me until my
watch at 11p.m., by which time we had diverted further out to sea, to give
more sea room to all the floating fish pens, and the rain squalls! I gave
Ollie until 3 a.m., and that in turn gave David 6 hours sleep. Or should
have done, until Ollie then got more fish pens and squalls at 5.00 a.m., and
called David up to assist again.