|We cleared Customs on Sunday 12th - the Customs Officer came to St. Raphael Marina from the New Port - were expecting to have to pay extra for a Sunday but it cost nothing. However, considering we first set off on Mon 13 Jul, we have not travelled very far. We filled-up with 172 litres of diesel (£145) and had a last cup of coffee with Dino - he very kindly gave us the fittings for the extra filter for the water-maker. We motored out of the marina at 1010, straight into a 16 knot headwind which then rose steadily to 25 knots. By 1200 we had reached Lady's Mile, where we had intended to spend the night but, as it was far too rough, we turned North and made for the shelter of the harbour wall of the Limassol New Port. We finally anchored in 4 meters of water, in sand, half-way between the Old Port and the New Port. The wind stayed steady at about 25 knots, even after dark, but at least the water was almost flat because of the shelter.|
Because of the wind, we both had a restless night and were up by 0500. We decided to stay put for a day and let the wind abate and use the time to sort out the stowage better. We noticed that the batteries did not seem to be holding-up very well so decided to start our new generator at about 1600; not a chance! We contacted Dino and decided to return to St. Raphael marina to sort things out - luckily they said we could go alongside the fuel berth. The wind was still blowing hard so we had a fast run back to the marina. Dino and Adonis came aboard almost as soon as we arrived and it was diagnosed that the generator starter battery was flat. We had not realised, and no-one had told us, that the generator does not charge its own starter battery - that needs a separate battery charger! Through the good offices of Dino, Tony from off Marsha Star lent us a Jump-Start device which got the generator going. The Marine Police came to see us to find out why we were back as they had expected us to go straight to Alanya in Turkey - apparently we made a mistake checking out with the Customs and should not have done that - Oh well . . .
So now it is Wednesday and we are back in the marina, alongside the fuel berth, and getting in the way! Another restless night and we are up again at 0500. I stay on board to move the boat every time another boat wants to come and refuel and Pauline goes up to the chandlery Tuti Mare to get a battery charger for the generator - £225! Once that is in place we have the generator running and it is charging all the batteries, cooking lunch in the microwave and on the induction hob, and running the air conditioning - life is returning to normal! More good news in that Demetry telephones to say that the marina is going to put our fees on his account, so it looks like he has got our old mooring, which is good - he has been a real gentleman all along. Dino is back on board to move the generator exhaust outlet higher above the waterline - another hole in the boat, but at least it is above the waterline. The original hole has been sealed with a blocked hose until we are next lifted-out.
Moved back onto our old berth on Thursday, which is a relief as we were getting in everyone's way on the fuel berth. Dino has taken the outboard away to see if he can get it started - the carburetor is probably blocked with the residue of old fuel as we have not run it for ages - must remember to run it dry next time. Dino also arranged for a bigger stainless steel hoop-arm over the anchor to be made as the present one is too small and makes it very difficult to get the anchor back on board.
Got the outboard back on Friday; it now runs properly so will have to try and keep it that way. Dino brought the new stainless steel anchor fitting back on Saturday - it is an excellent piece of work and fits perfectly.
Well we got away for the second time on Sunday 19th July. This time we just booked-out with the Marine Police and were away by 0815. We made our way leisurely to the same anchorage between the Old Port and New Port of Limassol as we were at before and had a lazy day unwinding from the past week. We also managed to get the heading Sensor calibrated and working and started to make sense of the Chart Plotter and Waypoint System. We had the water-maker going for several hours to fill the tanks - it makes lovely soft water.
On Monday we were awake again at 0500 and on our way by 0600. Had some trouble getting the anchor to seat properly as the anchor buoy kept pulling it over on its side - need to get a swivel fitted between the anchor and the anchor chain - sometime . . . The wind picked-up quite quickly and we had a bouncy ride around the Akrotiri Peninsula. Nevertheless we were at Pissouri before lunch and settled down to watch the jet-skiers and Banana Boat Riders. We decided to stay in Pissouri Bay for 2 nights which turned out to be a mistake as Tuesday was flat calm all during the day but with a swell building up through the night which meant we did not sleep very well and 0500 came around far too quickly on Wednesday. Wednesday did not start well as the kedge anchor had disappeared off our stern line overnight - it was a Fortress F-16 worth about £150 if anyone wants to go back and look for it! Once again we set off into a Force 5 headwind - should have gone yesterday. Made an approach to go into Coral Bay to anchor but were stopped by Marine Police in a patrol boat and told to go back to Paphos or move on to Latchi - we elected to go on. We did not get all the way and anchored off Lara Point for the night - another rolly night so we were on our way very early in the morning on Thursday.
We motored North and made our way round the North West end of Cyprus, the Akamas Peninsula. Once clear round the point, dodging fishing boats who seemed to be everywhere, we turned South towards the anchorage at Fontana Amorosa where we stopped. The anchorage comprises 2 bays linked by a shallow patch - we chose the nearest which proved to be a mistake. The bottom was rocky and both the anchor and chain became jammed under rocks - we thought this would not be a big problem but, when the wind got up after a couple of hours, we realised we had to move. After a bit of a struggle, we managed to raise the anchor - the anchor buoy and its mooring to the back of the anchor proved their worth this time so maybe it is a good idea after-all. We moved South into the next bay and anchored in about 3.5 meters on sand. Unfortunately the wind continued to rise so we elected to go into Latchi Harbour for the night. The harbour was full but luckily some friends, Jason and Katherine off the yacht Crystal Stream offered us a mooring alongside them (although in the end we ended up alongside another yacht). Once connected to shore-power and with the air conditioning running, things became a lot more comfortable.
The following day, Friday the 24th, Peter checked-in at the Police Post and and the Harbour Master and received a polite, but firm, rollicking from the Marine Police for not doing it as soon as we arrived - the joys of the EU and its borders policy. The 4 nights we plan to stay here cost €40, including electricity, water and rubbish disposal - much cheaper than St. Raphael Marina.
Dino and Koula came over to Latchi for lunch on Sunday and we went to the Seafarer Fish Restaurant, where you know the meal is not going to be cheap when you chose your own fish from the cold slab and they weigh it in front of you. Dino gave us a hand pump for removing the engine oil from the engine sump - a very kind gesture.
The plan, now, is to check out on Monday and make an overnight crossing to the new marina at Alanya in Turkey, about 95 nautical miles - originally we had planned to go to the Greek island of Kastolorizon, but it is too far for our first crossing having not sailed for several years, about 155 nautical miles.