Sant Carles 40:37.24N 00:36.22E

Red Skies
David Alexander
Fri 11 Jun 2010 09:11
We have now been back in Sant Carles for 5 days and have almost got ourselves sorted after our Balearics trip.
Our last stop after Soller was San Telmo on the SW corner of Mallorca. Here we picked up a mooring buoy provided free by the Government of the Balearics and enjoyed a couple of days of relaxation and swimming (at least David did).
The bay at San Telmo
We had planned to leave at 4.00 pm for the overnight crossing to Sant Carles but during the afternoon the anchorage became progressively more crowded, some with pre-booked resevations for particular mooring buoys which one can do either by phone or on the internet. Therefore we decided to make a move at 3.00 pm and had a gentle sail out past the Isla Dragonera before putting up the cruising chute. We then had a most enjoyable broad reach in 8 to 9 knots of wind allowing Red Skies to surge along between 6.5 to 7 knots. The sailing was enhanced by the company of various types of dolphins along the way.
Prudence necessitated taking down the chute 5 hours later at dusk and to resort to motor-sailing, which was a shame but only anticipated the inevitable by 2 or 3 hours when the wind died away. We were, however, left with a swell on the quarter that made sleeping for the off-watch person a bit of a trial. We also enjoyed (?) a night of spectacular lightning displays over the mainland but fortunately they didn't move out to sea while we were there. 17 hours later, at 8.00 am, we arrived at Sant Carles for breakfast, showers and some sleep in that order.
Our Balearics trip had covered 503 nm, which entailed 83 hours of motoring!  In our 43 days away, we spent 2 nights on passage, 29 nights at anchor or on mooring buoys (with 22 nights consecutively) and 11 nights in marinas (8 of those being at Palma). We didn't experience anywhere that charged for anchoring and we were only charged once for a mooring (at Port Colom - honesty caused us to telephone a mobile number and then to wait for the office to open for an hour in the morning. However the charge was only 6 euros and the showers, which were adequate, were included.)
One day after arriving back at Sant Carles, Alison suddenly noticed that the carpet in the galley area was getting rapidly soaked. Investigation revealed that we had sprung a leak from our hot water cylinder and after some dismantling the problem proved to be a split gasket around the heater element. Nicolas, the Marina Manager, was most helpful in contacting a Spanish agent for the suppliers and a replacement part is on order. Meanwhile, we are camping, as we have had to turn off the water pump and there isn't an easy way to isolate the hot water circuit. Fortunately we are quite close to the Marina facilities.