Barbados Position 13:05.545N 59:36.928W

Bill and Judy Stellin
Tue 18 Dec 2007 02:26
We approached this island from the north because we had been told check in at Port Saint Charles was much better than in Bridgetown, the capital.
Also Port Saint Charles had a marina and we thought it would be a treat after 16 days at sea to take a hot shower and a meal off the boat.  We got there, had to endure their complicated and lengthy check in and then  after having been there at the fuel dock for 3 hours killing time while El Gordo the dockmaster farted around, were told the marina was reserved for yachts that were at least 100 feet or longer.  So no stay.  Well, we made the most of it.  We filled our tanks with their free water but declined their overpriced diesel fuel.  We also took a shower on their jetty using their water again.  I won't even go into the paperwork necessary to check out, because it makes me nauseous just rethinking it.  It took the better part of an hour and all three offices that I had to visit and fill out identical paperwork were in the same building on the same floor.  When I suggested maybe I could only fill out one crew sheet instead of 7 and they could copy the other six, they politely told me that was not possible.  This marina only has room for about 6-7 super yachts and yet it has a fully staffed health, customs and immigration office.  Most of the day these people have nothing to do.  Still, it was infinitely better than the process in the capital, which requires taking a taxi to get to because of the distance.  Plus in Bridgetown, where we are now in Carlisle Bay, we are at anchor and so you  must dinghy in for everything.  In Port St Chas. the fee for one night stay would have been $115 for us and another $100 to dump our garbage.  We sneaked it into a trash bin when no one was looking.  Even anchoring in front was $36 per night.  They also had the gaul to charge us $8.34 as a port tax.  When I mildly complained, I was told it didn't make any difference that I was leaving as fast I as I got there, I was there so I had to pay. These  people are nuts.
We ate out tonight and it was an awful meal, hamburger and quiche for Judy that was like shoe leather.  The bill came to $32 USD.  We're out of here as fast as we came.
All in all it was a busy day.  Finished our crossing, entered two ports, fixed our boom vang, wandered through Bridgetown (An ok little town) and got ripped off just about everywhere we've been to here on this island.
Now all I have to do is buy some fiberglass cloth, epoxy resin and related stuff so I can repair our pedestal guard grab thing.
From La Gomera, Canary Islands, to here, has been a journey of 2712 miles in sixteen days, four hours, (to this bay).
In the process, we used 15 gals of diesel fuel,  out of 85 gal that we carry, exclusively for fridge and battery needs.
We used about 50 gals of fresh water leaving about 75 left.
Still have some fresh fruits and vegetables from the Canaries.
Except  for the boom vang tackle and the grab thing, nothing broke or bent or chaffed though.
The auto pilot steered the boat 99.9% of the time, down some of the steepest wave fronts we've seen in a long time without once ever being overcome by them.  Never once did we feel the pilot could not handle the forces or that we might broach which is common with many pilots that are not well engineered. Plus, ours is as old as the boat itself (11 years).
It has not yet fully set in, we are not still in European waters. One day we were in the Med and now North American waters but nothing seems to have changed.  We still are on the same boat, doing the same things day after day, except by putting 16 of those routine days  together we crossed an ocean.  Pretty neat.