Anders Olsens Sund 66:29.00N 53:41.00W

mollihawk's shadow
eddie nicholson
Sun 3 Aug 2014 21:07
1800 Sunday 4thAugust
While we can achieve 200 miles in a day with our Yanmar 75HP ( Someone aboard asked me how many cc that was equal to; wash-up detail for an week was the reply!) We have had to motor for the last 24 hours and have gone 150 miles averaging 6.25 knots which is good enough.
We did get a great sail earlier in with the main and Code Zero up through a string of very large icebergs before we entered an inland waterway route through the islands which would have you swear that you were in West Cork the whole way along. Except for the sight of Huskies patrolling the small rocky islands where their owners put them to fend for themselves over the Summer, best local advices is not to walk on these islands!! Also the crack of rifle fire from the small speed boats loaded up with 3 or 4 people between the islands, out fishing at midnight, there was no need for advices here we kept well clear.
As we entered this well routed path which needs to be adhered to closely, as much of the waters here are uncharted in this area, a whale crossed behind us seemingly patrolling the entrance to the route and his fishing area, thankfully we were not deemed to be a threat, then his cousin nearby breeched right out of the water to all our amazement. Now you can’t beat that view with a 25,000 year old ice chilled drink in your hand and dinner on your lap!
We had come up this way when Harry was aboard and we were heading from Sisimuit  up to Aasait.
With the watch in place for the night we headed on and by midnight we were witnessing  the sun setting in a clear sky and blood red sun against a backdrop of dark craggy islands. Pat and Eddie traced us through the path of island as many have done before, the still water made it all the more tranquil.
When we emerged from this group of islands back out to sea the wind had got up as forecast to 15 knots on the nose and the sea was feisty and through the night we encountered our fair share of fog with lumpy and choppy seas. Mostly caused by the wind against tide effect which saw 1.5 knots against us.
On the Starboard beam through the Fog at about 1am Mike spotted a humpback breeching not once but 3 times and managed a great photo on his third breach. The winds peaked at 24 knots and the waves shot across the decks which is all manageable if you have closed the main hatches!
These get forgotten when it is past midnight before the wind gets up and shifts have started.
Any way the crew member whose sleeping bag got most wet has bragged he slept in a canoe once, so maybe he’ll get another chance in our inflatable versions!
The new recruits are being blamed for the disarray in the watch system last night and rumblings of court marshalling were heard as some crew didn’t present themselves for shift and others  insisted on doing 2 1/2  shifts they were enjoying the night’s passage so much,which caused complete mayhem and the chef was raised at the incorrect time, the skipper ended up doing an extra morning shift and then slept through his Brekky!
Now that we are safely at anchor in a beautiful Sund the night rota is being re explained!
All around above us are the most amazing snow capped mountains, the sort Harry used always say : Now there’s a nice unclimbed peak..
Slainte from Anders Olsens Sund