Out of the Water
Thu 14 Oct 2010 09:15
At 0730 0n Saturday morning the travel hoist arrived to lift Gilly B out of the water and by 0900 she was safely installed in her winter cradle in the large Cleopatra boat yard. The weather was fine and dry, but the forecast from Monday onwards was dire - storms, wet and windy! Living on any yacht which is out of the water is grim even in good weather, but in bad weather the experience is truely dreadful. Our original plan was to fly home on Sunday, but the limited flights home were full. We put Duncan on the case and he found us a flight with Air Berlin via Nuremburg to Stansted on Tuesday.
As forecast the "storm" arrived late Sunday evening and it then proceeded to blow hard and rain until we got off the yacht on Tuesday lunchtime. It really is quite unnerving when the strong wind caused the yacht to rock and shudder even though it was captive in its cradle. To make life even worse we had already removed the spray hood and the bimini so there was no protection from the rain other than inside. The only consolation was that we were able to confirm that we had no leaks in any of the windows or hatches.
We are now thinking about next year and where we might cruise. Down to the Peloponnisos and/or through the Corinth Canal back to Cleopatra Marina for a second winter??? This might allow us to drive to and from the boat!!! Or over to Marmaris and cruise in Turkey....The possibilities are endless!! We will be studying the charts over winter!
Best Wishes to everyone.
P.S. The last two entries were made on our new "notebook" style computer. Very much easier to carry but it seems to leave the photos smaller! We suggest a magnifying glass!!