Lee Price
Sun 8 Jul 2007 23:56
N24.11.33 W76.27.55

What a grump I've been in today. It started badly, the anchorage I slept in last night had a god awful swell that kept me awake rolling round. I slept (or tried to sleep) in the cockpit last night bracing myself against the rolling motion of the boat.

Setting off at 8am I encountered winds on the nose and currents to boot. My Southerly progress was painfully slow at only 1.5knts at times.

I was ready to throw in the towel.

In the end I swung round and headed north, there was nothing for it. I had a good sail despite the swell that persisted and am now anchored back in Big Majors Spot where I was two nights ago with a new plan.

Tomorrow I will head east, the winds have been easterly today so this might not work out, but I will try to make a landfall at Cat Island, I was going to go here on my way back north anyway. I think with a bit of luck I can have a look at the island and get a angle on George town. If I can't, I give up, you cannot make a sail boat sail directly into the wind and if the wind is coming directly from your intended destination then you cannot go there. I'll just have to wait till Christmas when the prevailing weather is more northerly.

Lovely evening, the anchorage is much more protected from the swells on the banks so I'm much more comfortable and will sleep well tonight.