Store Ship

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Wed 16 Sep 2026 09:09
At anchor, Matauwha Bay, off Russell
Wind: NW F1 light air
Sea state: calm Swell: nil
Weather: clear, cool
Today, first up after breakfast I rowed ashore to the local market where I bought some fresh produce. Then I spent a couple of hours doing a bit of volunteer work with an environmental group at the invitation of Annie, after which I did the laundry and some grocery shopping. This evening I spent at the Russell Boating Club where I had a meal and enjoyed some conversation with Annie and other members of the club.
Now we are safely back on board.
Tomorrow the wind is forecast to pick up from the NW. A few days ago I was quite concerned about being exposed to strong winds, but more recent forecasts are for winds of around 15 knots, so not so bad. Nonetheless, where we are anchored is open to the NW so I will remain on board tomorrow and monitor our situation. If necessary we will move to a more protected anchorage.
Now that we are fully provisioned again, from here the plan is to head down to Whangarei as soon as the weather allows.
All is well.