26 May - We are off!!
week and a day late. Although the
replacement shrouds arrived in Bermuda on Sunday night they did not clear
customs on Monday and Tuesday is Bermuda Day (formerly Queen Victoria’s
Birthday) so nothing happened until Wednesday.
weather is mostly light winds from the east although there are some reports of
something more severe happening somewhere.
We will eavesdrop on Herb (Canadian weather router who has been doing
this for nothing) on the SSB radio and will seek advice from Chris Tibbs from
the Isle of Wight.
said goodbye to new made friends Keith and Stella of Ananda and Eastbourne who
are heading for Maine. French friends on Gala have set out from Tortolla on
their way to Azores so will be trailing behind us. The ARC tracker shows most of the fleet
half way to destination Azores and some with only 400 miles to
had a last supper with Australian owners of Discovery No 1 called Sula. They are world sailors and have taken
their dentistry skills to many islands in the Pacific who have no such
facilities. What excellent
work. Some neighbours from an
American boat they are delivering to the Med. joined us and they also had so
are being tightened as I write. The
starboard one needs more tightening.
When you shake it you feel the transference through the boat and that is
what we were experiencing on the crossing from the States. Discovery has now made both inners and
outers the same diameter – 14 mm.
Still, the failure will be investigated more on our return. Our thanks to Discovery in Southampton
and Ocean Sails in St George for their excellent response in getting over and
fitting the replacement shrouds.
Also big thanks to Dick who has been a splendid help and his wife and
daughter back home who have been very patient. The one week’s delay was mainly due to a
weekend and Bermuda Day holiday which is frustrating but understandable. It does mean we will hopefully have
missed some weird weather.
weather is settling we think, although wind direction is not helpful – mainly
ESE. There has been an unusual
stationary low en route which may or may not fill into something worth
avoiding. The models suggest it
should be declining but predictions have not been going according to plan. Other ARC Europe boats reported in the
past days winds of 0 to 25 all of a sudden.
worried about my mum who is not well but still of fighting spirit so I think
that plus the antibiotics and my lovely daughter’s kind care will mean she will
be alright for me to carry on to Azores.
Oh, I certainly hope so – she is 94 after all. I called Admiral our insurers to check
the situation about being two, instead of three crew, in case I had to jump
ship, and they seem quite accommodating in not hiking our insurance premium
although extending the excess.
Friday morning at dawn we head off.
Follow our track on World Cruising ARC Europe web site.
of Bill and Steve in intimate embrace repairing rigging whilst the other three
helpers are sitting around taking in the scenery (was it Valsheda going out or
some fit female crew on another boat?). Photo which I hope you can read in
St Peter's Church commemorating a very convivial