Back to Georgetown

Valt & Sandy
Sun 14 Apr 2013 19:05
Seems all roads lead back to Georgetown. We awoke Saturday morning, checked the weather, hoisted the dink, weighed the anchor all before morning coffee. It looked like both Saturday and Sunday were ok travel days. We would leave Saturday just in case they were wrong. We could also run inside the chain of islands a ways, or even stop at Emerald Bay Marina. We opted to go outside and try for the elusive mahi.
We'd spent a nice week at Lee Stocking, admiring the reefs, fishing, dinghy rides, enjoying our visitors. We walked the trail across the island and watched the ocean swells. From the high ridge we could see the reefs stretching out for miles. It was spectacular. When it was time to go to the airport, we took our friends to Barretarre and sent them off in a taxi. Our Bahamian pal Vincent promised to get them there in fine shape. The next day Vincent came for a visit. We chatted and he regaled us with island humor.
The winds continued, so we moved up closer to shore and found a quiet spot. Our few neighbors already left, including a small, low-sided houseboat. We marveled that he got here, and wondered where he'd go in these winds?
Our run to Georgetown started rolly, but got better along the way. We fished from the cockpit, and took turns watching for other boat traffic. With our auto pilot's wireless remote control we not only monitor the other boats, but also corrected our course as needed from back there. We saw 20 boats leaving from Georgetown. Would anyone remain?
Arriving in the harbor we dropped anchor in the first bay, named The Monument. No sooner were we secure when we got a VHF call from a friend who invited us to Happy Hour on the beach this evening. We were very tired from our trip, but decided to go anyway. Maybe 20 folks joined in. Normally there would be 100 at high season. But each was nice, and had great stories to share. One couple was heading to the Eastern Caribbean. Another was pleased about a great sailing trip from Long Island. Still others shared jewelry making ideas. Some young guys in a tiny sailboat showed up, thankful for the free food. Everyone brought a snack to pass. When our old friends the no- see-ums arrived, it was time to pack up and go.
Back in civilization, we dinked over to the market to restock our produce and fresh items. Valt then planned to raise the dinghy back up so he could change the oil. Just as we started the process, a couple, who was also from Michigan, stopped to chat. Seems we'd boated in many of the same places before discovering the Bahamas. The world is really a small place.