Ibiza Town

Are we nearly there yet?
Mike & Sarah
Sat 21 Aug 2010 08:26
38:54.82N 1:27.24E
12th August 2010
Motored to Cala Talamanca, a Cala, or bay, just to the east of Ibeza town. Anchored close inshore in about 4 meters over sand. Seemed ideal with shops and marine specialists close at hand. Somewhere to land the tender within rowing distance as well. So, we went ashore and walked around the Ibeza marinas. Ostentation at its worst or best, depending on your viewpoint. A collection of some very impressive vessels, none the less. Returned after dark, with the wind rising slightly, but nothing obvious to worry about.
Around 2.30, in the early hours, was rudely awakened by the noise of a hand from outside clamping itself on the open porthole's frame. Upon questioning its owner, to ask if there was anything wrong, was informed that his dinghy's engine had packed up. On rising and going up into the cockpit to review the situation it turned out that there were three guys and two inflatable dinghies. Apparantly one dinghy had been inadvertantly slipped from a yacht further offshore and driven ashore and the second, was from a catamaran near to the yacht on a retrieval mission. Unfortunately, the scheme had missfired when the rescuing dinghy's engine decided to call it a day. Any attempts to row out to their boats being thwarted by a rising wind and significant swell. Balance was restored by our lowering Footloose's tender, mounting the engine and towing both dinghies back to their respective boats. By the time the exercise was completed ti was getting on for 3.30 and the wind was approaching 20 knots. However, what was more disturbing was the swell, which was starting to break as it approached the inshore shallows. Sleep was becoming impossible, because when a roller broke it sounded like an express train passing by. It was also putting an increasing strain on the ground tackle. On rising, as the first light appeared in the eastern sky it was obvious that we had been lucky, because a similar sized catamaran which had been moored within a 100 meters of us had dragged ashore and fetched up on some rocks protecting a small concrete jetty. The fleet in the harbour was only half the size that it had been at midnight. Many boats having escaped out to sea to avoid a pounding. Or damage was fortunately minor. The bow roller's keep pin, a flimsy aluminium affair that I had always been meaning to replace with something a lot more substantial, had been ripped out and allowed the anchor chain to jump out and damage the adjacent gelcoat. Another job on the to-do list.
Twice during the morning local sailors came over to us and recommended that we move to the western side of the island. It always pays to heed local knowledge, particularly as these guys said they were looking forward to some serious kayak surfing in the bay. So, up anchor and off to Ensa de la Canal to seek shelter.