Gran Canaria, Las Palmas. 28:08.00N, 15:25.00W
We finally managed to return to Green Flash on Tues 7th Dec after a final hurdle had been overcome – all flights to Lanzarote had been cancelled the previous day due to high winds! It seemed that in order to compensate for prior inconveniences, we had a flawless journey. Straight to Gatwick, onto the plane, first bag off, straight on to a local bus, straight on to the regional bus and straight into the only awaiting taxi to the marina.
Playa Blanca was hot and humid (now too hot rather than too cold!)
We acquainted ourselves with
our pontoon neighbours, a Finn, a Welsh family, a Faroese and a German couple
as well as a Dutch couple met previously in
(Sp for rat) was brought to our attention by a heap of powdered tea under the
cooker on our return. A careful search through all the food lockers revealed
nibbles in the corners of all sorts of dried food - tea, flour, dried fruit, cuppasoup, tortellini, not to mention the rolls of shredded
kitchen towel and polystyrene. We found a Ferreteria
and bought 4 traps and armed them with chocolate but after 2 nights, no Ratas. We bought different traps and armed them with peanut
butter – No Ratas. Sticky stuff was recommended
but Ratas knew how to avoid that. By this time all
the dried food was in 4 coverings and zipped in canvas in the cockpit so the
only food supply was the bin. D saw him yesterday so last night we put huge
cardboard pieces covered in sticky stuff in appropriate places and this morning
(after 10 days of trying) we got him, a HUGE mouse,
We set sail for Gran Canaria with several others
on Sat 11th. The passage was approximately
We have had a couple of excursions
including two good walks. The first from the NW coast town of
The west coast main road.
The second, after a
most torturous 2 hour bus ride to cover (as the crow flies)
1400m up. (It seems here that the higher you go, the more the vegetation).
We’re not sure yet whether we will stay in Las Palmas for Christmas or if we will move to the SW coast, perhaps next week, if the wind allows.