27th June - Leg 2, from no wind to lots...

Concerto's Azab Blog
George Isted
Mon 27 Jun 2011 07:44
46:27N 014:56W at 0843bst
Bit of a dull and wet day yesterday, very light airs, slow process and rain all day.  Finally at 0300 this morning a strong breeze of 18-23kts from the North-North-East kicked in.   I initially put two reefs in but when I get into my bunk at 5am the boat was slamming a bit so Mark put the third reef in to slow us down and keep the boat in one piece.  We are still doing 5kts in this configuration and are comfortable.
We are in Radio contact with Nazca II still , they are a bit further west and didn’t suffer the wind hole we had but now have more wind that we do.  Given that we are trying to look after and nurse Concerto home I’m happy to take the wind whole even if it was frustrating.
Ran the engine for a hour yesterday to put some charge into the batteries, with only one working solar pannel I expect I will have to do this once every 2-3 days now but we have plenty of dempsy-diesel so not a problem.
that’s all folks, it’s a bit wet and bumpy to be typing and I need to look at the gribs and SWIS forecast.
George and Mark.