Once we were cleared we caught TAXI to the bank to change money. They have 2 currencies, which are Pesos and Convertible Pesos ( known as Cuks). The Cuks are for tourists and its to prevent black marketeering. However we soon learned that we paid more for everything by only going to places which accepted them, so we found a way to exchange our cuks for local money and then enjoyed the cheaper prices as the locals do.
After we had changed our money we went to have a look around that particular area. However it was all tourist and we went to have a look at the beach and have a drink
Throughout the photos you will see many old American cars and some UK ones. These cars are kept running as they have not been able to import any since the Cuban Crisis and most are at least 50 years old!! They are used as Taxis and private cars. Also the horse is king here!! There are many forms of transport starting with the lowest!!
1. walking. Which people do everywhere for miles. They stand at the side of the road and people pick them up - hitch hiking is big in Cuba and if you have a car and dont pick them up they can believe it. its expected if you have room
2. side saddle as a passenger on a bike.
3. cycle taxi. This is a bike with either a double or single seat attached behind it.
4.horse and cart taxi. These are everywhere and have a single horse pulling a covered wagon with a row of seats on either side
5. Bus . There are huge covered trucks with seats in - in particular these are for the workers and not visitors .
6. Your own Bike. Again many bycycles and they are everywhere
7. Your own horse. Many people ride horses
8. Your own horse and buggy. These are seen everywhere too.
9. your own motorcycle. A lot of the older pre war bikes and newer ones. The newer ones mostly from China. Many have sidecars!!
10. Your own car. Not many people have cars and the ones who do have older cars from the USA. The newer cars (which are usually russian)are mostly hire cars for tourists. One good thing though, it makes it a great almost traffic free area to get about with the only hazards being all of the above, but easily manouvered.
Checking out the tourist market and the beach!!