Tue 27 Nov 2007 00:39
DAY 1 - 26 NOVEMBER 2007

Lady Liv, her captain Bob Heffron and crew of six are reporting from
26:42.35 N and 016:40.03W after a day's run of 143 miles from Las Palms,
Gran Canaria on Sunday November 25 and the start of ARC 2007. We were
happy to be finally underway. We let loose her lines and sailed out of the
Yacht harbour with 235 other yachts following the route of previous ARCs
and such greater sailors as Colombus who followed a similar route a few
hundred years ago. The final days in Las Palmas were a social frenzy with
a receptions, dances and a final crew dinner in the splendid setting of an
old Spanish mansion which has been turned into a restaurant. There were
also the last minute chores all of us had but especially our Captain Bob
and his partner Marion who saw to ensuring that the crew were would be
well fed and watered on the journey and the yacht ready for the 2700 mile
journey west. The crew helped with some of the shopping, washing of
vegetables and fruit and the stowing aboard in the various nooks and
cranies of the vessel. There were also the many personal chores we all had
with calls to family and friends. We were all impressed with ARC
organization and the helpfulness of the ARC staff as well as with the
hospitality of local yacht clubs. We were also sent off to the strains of
a bagpipe and a local maching band.

During the first 24 hours we adjusted to Lady Liv and she to us. The
weather was good with Force 4 to 5 winds with ten to twelve foot swells.
All of us are experience sailors but the first 24 hours we faced the usual
stumbling around trying to find our way about the yacht. Where did I put
my hat? Where is my warm sweater? Where are my Snickers? Were there more
serious problems to be faced. But the excitement of starting the journey
and the adrenalin were ever present. The trip would be a challenge at
several levels. First there is the journey itself. We needed to sail Lady
Liv safely to St. Lucia in the Windward Islands. As well, we were seven
individuals who did not know each other previously and it would be
essential not only to work closely but to live aboard a small space for
about three weeks. Fortunately, after this first day out, we recognized
that we had a good team who would be able to work together well and have

We established a watch system of two hours on during the night with two of
us on duty each watch and three during the day. Based on this first day,
the system should work well and give us all sufficient rest , atlhough
sleeping the first night was difficult what with the high seas, the new
surroundings and the excitement. Although there were some 235 yachts
starting with us there were only two yachts in sight after the first 24
hours. Several yachts faced some early difficulties and one had to be
towed back to Las Palmas

In the catagory of Todays Problems, we encountered the following: we lost
and recovered the Dan Buoy, Rosie broke the toilet seat but managed to
accomplish his mission, the hanging fruit in the main cabin proved to be a
head masher, Dave provided a plan for the stowage of our supplies which

The weather looks promising, the ship well found and the crew in hight