Crookhaven - Sherkin - Glandore - Kinsale - Dungarvan

Lady Stardust Faro-Portugal to Barcelona - 2010
Paul Collister
Wed 10 Sep 2008 22:33

POS 52:05.47 7:37.18W


We left Sherkin and traveled around the top of Sherkin to spend a night back on the pontoon there. A big wind had been blowing and continued, although it was dropping from F8 to F5 So I hoped we would be ok.

The problem with the route we took was that we were going very close to a lot of rocks, many just under the surface. We might also get blown onto them; it required good maneuvering and a close eye on the chart plotter, there were two right angle turns needed to get through the rocks north of Sherkin.

It was lovely to be back on Sherkin despite the wind and rain. We went back to the Jolly Roger for a pint then Kathy got stuck back into her dissertation.


The next day we left for Unionhall but couldn’t find a spot to anchor, and the wind was howling down onto us, so we took the easy option and went around to Glandore (5 mins) and picked up a visitor mooring. It was much nicer there and off up the hill to pay our dues and find a nice pub for the evening.

Next morning we hoisted the sails and left for Kinsale, arriving about 5pm after a brisk sail, Gareth at the marina had found us a nice inside berth so we motored in, tied up, plugged in and cracked open one of our last cans of beer, bought at Lidl in Holyhead 5 weeks earlier.

Kinsale was great for 2 days before we had to make a 5AM start on Friday morning in order to arrive in Dungarvan just before high water at 5:30PM. We had a fast sail and as it turned out arrived 90 minutes before HW. I knew the tide flows fast in the harbor and had some fun getting into the town, however once there Kathy picked up the bow pickup line and I secured it, raced aft and got the stern line on, however when I went back to the bow and tried to adjust the line, I lost it, the current was so powerful and the buoy so low in the water I couldn’t hold the line, we got it back with the boat hook, but it had the last laugh and took the boat hook away to hand over to Davey Jones. We put our feet up and waited until HW when all was sorted easily.

Now Dungarvan was decked out in blue and white, the county Waterford colours. We later learnt the Waterford was in the All Ireland Hurling finals in a week’s time and that they hadn’t reached the final for about 50 years, so it was some event. We duly hoisted a few flags to show our support before flying driving home leaving the boat under the supervision of our wonderful hosts in Ireland, Ciaran & Anita and Chris and Anika.




Paul and Kathy