logo Lady Stardust Faro-Portugal to Barcelona - 2010
Date: 22 Jul 2010 15:32:00
Title: Ria Formosa Boatyard - 22nd July

We arrived here a few hours later than expected due to industrial action from French air traffic controllers.  At least our flight wasn’t cancelled as some were but the delays caused predictable confusion and a good deal of irritation among passengers.  It wasn’t helped by the fact that airport is currently undergoing refurbishment which caused long queues in the security area. When I got through to the other side of the

x-ray machines I found Paul looking on anxiously as a woman rubbed what looked like a washing up brush minus the bristles, over the surface of his iPad.  She told us it was being used to test for explosive residue!  Apparently they haven’t had to deal with many iPads at Liverpool Airport yet.


It was almost 11pm by the time we collected the hire car at Faro so when we got to the boat at nearly midnight we hauled our luggage up the ladder and decided to leave unpacking until the morning.  It’s very hot and sunny here but with a cooling breeze which was very welcome when we were painting the hull of the boat with anti-foul this afternoon.  The boatyard is very dusty, though so the breeze also ensures that everything, including us, is covered with layers of gravelly dust.  By the time we’d finished painting we looked as if we’d taken part in a paintball event without the benefit of protective clothing, covered as we were in blobs of navy blue paint and coated with yellow dust! 

After freshening up we drove to a nearby supermarket to stock up with provisions for the five or so days we’ll be spending at anchor.  We now have enough food on board to do another Atlantic crossing according to Paul.  On the way back we saw several Storks’ nests.  These are on top of very high constructions all along the roadside and the nests themselves are quite tall.  Most nests had two Storks in and I wished we’d brought binoculars so that I could get a closer look at them.


Diary Entries