Finisterre to Starboard

Shangrila's web diary
Ali Pery and Shane Warriker
Sun 9 Jun 2013 12:43

42:03.000N 9:23.000W


So it came to pass that our “splash and dash” in Cascais turned out to be a rather protracted affair lasting about 3 hours which saw us leaving at 16:30.  Firstly we couldn’t stop the engine because we had disconnected the starter battery to stop it from overheating (Who knows?).   Then we couldn’t work out how to work the fuel pump because of the Portuguese instructions and then the lady unhelpfully told us to move the boat about twenty metres down the pontoon to use the next pump as the one we were against was for fishermen only (all this conducted in perfect broken Portuguese and sign language) .  She then adopted the biggest smile to tell us that we couldn’t have any water unless we got it from our pontoon berth inside the marina. I signed and gesticulated that we weren’t marina residents and that there seemed to be a perfectly good tap on the fuel pontoon if only they would let us have the key.  “Oh well, never mind.” She signed back with a shrug, and walked off.  Keith, in the meantime had been tasked with sourcing some fresh provisions as he had stayed in the marina before and new where the shop was and Russell busied himself with washing the boat down with a bucket on a rope and the delightful marina water.  After about an hour, awaiting Keith’s return, she came back she came back and told me I had to go and pay because she was going home despite the office closing at eight p.m.  I went into the office cough up for the expensive fuel, and ask to buy some bottled water (for emergencies) only to be told by her in perfectly acceptable English that I could after all, have some water, but the cost would be another 10 Euros.  “Blooming heck!” I muttered (or words to that effect), but needs must!  “And I see you speak English too” I said, somewhat surprised.  “Oh no.” she said, “I understand you well, I just don’t speak it that well”!!!  She packed her bags and headed off while her colleague was despatched to oversee the water filling operation and ensure that not a drop was wasted on us washing the decks.  At these prices, I’m not surprised they don’t want to waste any.

Hmmm! No wonder their economy is in dire straits.

Needless to say, we decided that when Keith returned we would have a leisurely lunch right there before heading off.


Now here we are, 48 hours later and about to round one of the most famous capes, “Cape Finisterre!”  Ali and I last rounded it on the way down the coast with Talulah (and Jonathan as crew) when we were on our last adventure.

We have about two miles of visibility with a light fog around us, and fairly calm seas (please stay this way) then all that lies before us is the dreaded Bay of Biscay.  We haven’t made a decision yet as to what we are going to do (either head for La Coruna or head straight across) we will have to see what the weather forecast is like in a few hours time.




Cape St Vincent lighthouse on the way past, this time in the opposite direction



Shane and Keith discussing a plan of attack before filling up with fuel



Some curious dolphins check out Shane and Keith while they try to repair the genoa traveller that sheared off with an impressive bang!


P.s. The co-ordinates mentioned at the top of this message are not our actual co-ordinates, but rather those of our waypoint we should reach in about 3 hours time at our current speed of six knots.  We currently have Finesterre directly to the east of us.