We've now been in La Gomera 3 weeks and we've moved no closer to Antigua! It has just been confirmed that because of very unseasonal/unfavourable weather conditions (hurricane conditions) the race won't be starting
before Sunday 20th December (at the earliest).
Although it is very frustrating that we haven't started I know for certain that I'd prefer to be on dry land rather than holding on for dear life in what is essentially a liferaft (our rowing boat) in hurricane conditions. We
have a huge amount of respect for the sea and the all the weather experts are forecasting and predicting exactly what is happening. As soon as there is a 3 or 4 day weather window when the fleet can safely leave the Canaries Red Arrow will be on the start
line and raring to go.
Rich and I are staying positive, keeping focused and enjoying the sunshine! We'll be using the delay to practise, double check, test, re-test and making sure that we are as well prepared as we should be.
We had an invaluable afternoon at sea in Red Arrow today testing the water maker which made water as good as Evian, deploying the drougue, deploying the para anchor, cleaning the hull of the boat by hand in the ocean and testing
all the GPS equipment.
Sadly, all my family/friends & Laura have now left La Gomera so I'll have nobody here to see the start but I'll now be rowing towards seeing them all next which will keep me motivated.
The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments)
contains information that may be confidential, may be protected
by the attorney-client or other applicable privileges, or may
constitute non-public information. It is intended to be conveyed
only to the designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not
an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and then delete all copies of it
from your computer system. Any use, dissemination, distribution,
or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is not
authorized and may be unlawful.