Time to Turn - 22:24.6N 26:05.8W

Sun 6 Feb 2011 20:36
Saturday, was a glorious day.  The sun was shining and the wind blowing about 15 knots.  At this stage I was on target to arrive at my first waypoint, 25,25.  (I am phrasing the position this way to stop the blog server picking it up as a position and entering it as my position on the map)  This was to be the point where I would make the call on whether to go straight across or turn south.  As it happens I got a text message warning me of the light winds at this latitude and so decided to gybe and take advantage of the veering wind.  I reached southwest with a beautiful calm sea and even lay out on the deck for a while.  The most memorable thing about the day was passing within six miles of a ship at about 0300 that morning, the first I have seen since loosing sight of land, and from what I can gather from other peoples stories probably the last.  Other then that, the Chorizo and tomato stew, potatoes leeks, onions, garlic and cauliflower went down pretty well.
This morning I received a text from my brother Darragh.  He was filling me in on the weather situation. He is in Antigua and getting some of the best weather advice from some of the pro racing navigators.   He has been keeping up to date with my position and actions via this blog and is texting me the local weather info as well as the broader tactic for the route.  Doing this is saving me a fortune in downloading grib files and he can scan a broader base of weather material.  As you know grib files are computer generated and should never trusted as a soul method of forecasting. Thanks Dar.
I had a long sleep this morning after not sleeping until 1000 yesterday.  I was on deck putting in reefs four times last night between 0200 and 0600.  This was on top of spending four hours ogling at the nights sky.  I am still on my southwest track and have not got to use my double headsail yet.  The sea has built up quite a lot through the night and is approaching beam on.  The odd wave is breaking against the side of the boat and soaking everything on deck, I have to keep the companion way hatch closed to stop it coming.  But this is not worrying as they are not big enough to be dangerous.  Maybe it is Neptune suggesting it is time for a wash.
Phew, I have just spent the last two hours trying to get the double headsail up and going.  Its tough work trying to winch two sails up at the same time and feeding them too.  Anyhow both are up now and furling and poles set, weâll see how it goes during the night.   This marks the beginning of my turn, I imagine I will not sail a straight course to Antigua but instead try and sail a path concentric to the high pressure system.  It might just be a matter of sailing straight downwind and ending up on the other side.  Weâll see how it goes.  The sun has gone down and I must log off to preserve my night vision.