46:05.98N 60:44.91W Baddeck, Cape Breton Island

Cantilena returns from North America
Des Crampton
Tue 17 May 2022 00:15
Having flown into Halifax, NS about midday last Friday 6 May our first task after getting ourselves through immigration and customs was to pick up our new liferaft. Covid problems had contrived to delay its manufacture and shipment to Canada so it was with some trepidation that we showed up at the Air Canada freight terminal at Halifax airport. To our surprise and delight it had arrived courtesy of Ocean Safety in Southampton via Heathrow the day before. Customs clearance turned out to be straightforward so we were soon on our way into town to collect new lifejackets and a full set of fresh safety flares. From there on to the delightful home of our friends Sue and Jim who live at St Margaret's Bay south of Halifax. Not only were they wonderful hosts but they kindly offered to drive us to Baddeck on the Sunday. Thank you Jim and Sue.
We were in the boat yard first thing Monday morning ready to commence preparing Cantilena for her homeward voyage. Cantilena has spent three freezing winters in a storage facility some four miles out of town so we were anxious to see how she had fared. First impressions were good with the spaces below deck all being clean and dry. Work was already underway to install the Hydrovane self steering gear shipped from Kent and to service the folding propeller and fit anodes. The Coppercoat antifouling applied at Sodus Point, NY remained in excellent condition. We returned to the yard and began detailed inspection and preparation of the mast and rigging. The boat was brought down from the storage shed on Thursday and went straight into the water. The mast was stepped immediately thereafter.
We moved on board on Friday and cleared enough space between all the equipment and tools to cook and sleep. Getting the engine to fire took a whole day as the fuel lines between the pump and each injector had to be removed to clear solidified diesel fuel. We cleared the anti-freeze from the fresh water and sanitary systems and filled up with clean water. The generator fired up quickly thankfully. Over the weekend Hydrovane installation was completed together with a much needed deck clean. It soon became clear that the battery charger had not survived the rigours of inactivity. Today the mast electrics were reconnected and the electronics switched on. No major problems luckily. Terry has been steadily bringing the clothing and bedding from its storage place in the roof space above the chandlery shop back on board, much of it via the washing machine. We have made good headway down the list of jobs but there much left to do.