The morning we left English Harbour we took a last long walk visiting the renovated Nelson’s Dockyard as it looked like in the 17th century. The British made English Harbour in Antigua their main naval station on the Lesser Antilles. Britain’s hero Nelson was stationed here in 1784 as a naval commander.
These pillars below is the ancient boat house where they repaired the ships. The roof is long gone, however the pillars are renovated and make now a perfect hotel with a private beach.
When the great ships anchored into the marina these giant winches helped to drag the ships into the harbour.
Beautiful old sailing boats can be seen in English Harbour.
After lunch we left English Harbour sailing off the West Coast of Antigua up to the North West of Antigua and anchored in Deep Bay. The closer we got to shore the more the sea turned into a delightful turquoise colour.