Motuarohia Island

Where Next?
Bob Williams
Sat 5 Sep 2026 08:05
Position: 35 14.02 S 174 10.09 E
At anchor, Motuarohia Islands
Wind: calm
Sea state: calm Swell: nil
Weather: clear, mild
Day’s run: 3.6nm
This morning I decided it was time to make a move and visit some of the many anchorages in the Bay of Islands. We were last in this part of the world in January 2020 when we explored the area quite extensively, so I am reasonably familiar with the area. My object now is simply to relax for a while before sailing down to Whangarei and getting stuck into Sylph’s next refit.
A front is due to pass through tomorrow evening bringing strong NW winds. We should be well sheltered anchored in this bay and will remain here until Tuesday when the weather is forecast to improve again.
As for where next, there are certainly plenty of islands and bays to choose from. I reckon I will make up my mind as we go along.
All is well.