Smokehouse Bay

The Adventures of the Good Ship Equinox
Cate and Chris Galloway
Sun 6 Jun 2010 07:28
Hi All,

Had a pretty "exciting" night last night - the wind steadily built from the north east during the day until about 2200 last night when it was a steady 30 knots gusting to 35. As the yacht swung around her anchor, she frequently came beam on to the winds and heeled over as if she were sailing. The sea state in the small bay we were in steadily built up and became rougher such that we elected to keep an anchor watch. At about 0100 this morning a 50' power catamaran started dragging her anchor and so weighed and then spent the next hour trying to find a suitable spot to re-anchor. eventually she gave up and headed to another bay, much to our relief.

First light came at about 0645 and revealed that a 70' motor cruiser which was anchored downwind from us was almost aground. Then all of a sudden it was like the owners had woken up and realised their predicament and so they got underway in a bit of a panic. Shortly after we weighed and headed off to find a less gusty and more sheltered spot. After trying a couple we finally settled on Kaiarara Bay and by 0900 we were fast asleep, leaving the kids to their own devices.

Later this afternoon the wind began backing into the NNW and so we have now moved across to Smokehouse Bay where we are now snugged in with a slight chop and only one other small yacht (the skipper of which has appeared quite competent). Tomorrow the wind is forecast to continue backing into the west and will increase to 50knots. Smokehouse is the best anchorage for the conditions around here, so we will get settled nice and early before the crown turns up.

Hopefully the cunning plan will survive the weather - so far so good!