David & Susan's Adventures
David & Susan Simpson
Sat 27 Jun 2015 21:24

12.02.40N 61.45.37W


We stayed in the anchorage at St Georges, Grenada’s capital for about a week and then sailed round to Prickly Pear Bay on Thursday 4th June. This is a nice bay and it has the advantage of having a large Budget Marine chandlery, however we found it very rolly so just stayed one night.



Prickly Pear Bay


On Friday we sailed along the South coast of Grenada to Clarkes Court Bay and found an anchorage where we felt the swell wouldn’t be too bad and with a bit of shelter from the wind. On Saturday we took the dinghy down the bay to Whisper Cove Marina, which is a very small marina, run by a French couple. This marina has a number of attractions for us, which has meant that we are regular visitors. There is a butcher in the marina building, which has the best meat we have come across in this part of the Caribbean. We have sampled their fillet steak, their veal escallops, their spicy sausages and their Mahi-mahi – yes they do some fish as well. All have been very tasty.


The marina is also a good and safe place to leave the dinghy when catching the local bus into St Georges and two/threes times a week there is a cruiser’s bus which takes you round to the ATM, Budget Marine, a large supermarket and a wholesale shop which has some deals on wine and beer. The marina also has a self-service laundry. At the bottom of the bay there is a restaurant, called Taffy’s, which is run by a Welsh couple, and they do a reasonably fish and chips dinner on a Friday night. It is fairly well frequented by cruisers from both Clarkes Court Bay and also Hogg Island Bay, which is nearby.


On Sunday we took the dinghy round to Phare Bleu Bay to check out the marina there. It had an interesting Swedish Lighthouse boat,  Phare Bleu means Blue lighthouse. The Marina owners are Swiss and the brought across a complete Lighthouse boat as part of the theme exhibit and have turned it into a small museum.




The next week we took a long dinghy ride through Hog Island Bay and across to Mt Harman Bay. We then walked across to Prickly Pear Bay to Budget Marine. It turned out to be a very long walk in considerable heat and we were pretty knackered by the time we got there. We had a well needed break for lunch and a cold beer. In the afternoon we took 2 local buses to get back to Mt Harman bay to pick up our dinghy. I don’t think we will be doing that walk again.



Looking down on Prickly Pear Bay.


Last week we decided to do a bit of exploring and took a couple of buses op to the middle of the island to the rain forest. There is a walk to a number of waterfalls. We stupidly decided to do the walk on a day where there was a high chance of rain. It was ok when we set off on the walk but fairly quickly the rain started. It wasn’t too bad by the time we got to the first waterfall, but it quickly became a deluge and it was quite dangerous as we were climbing up and down steep rocky slopes. This is not a good recipe for those of us visually challenge as I had to take off my glasses. We met a couple of women who were as stupid as we were and for a while we walked together as we felt there was safety in numbers. After a while, having slipped on a rock and covered my back in mud, I decided that the risks were too high and Susan and I turned back.


By the time we got back to the start everything was absolutely soaked, including all the money in my wallet and everything in our rucksacks. We got up to the road to get the bus back to town, but were worried that the bus wouldn’t take us in our disgusting state. The buses are very small and nearly always packed so no one would want us next to them. We the experienced what felt like a miracle, a local lady stopped in her car and offered us a lift into town. We pointed out that we were extremely wet and we were worried about her upholstery, but she insisted that it was ok. We used the plastic floor mats to try to limit the damage, but our saviour wasn’t in the least concerned. She also told us that it would have been difficult to find space on the buses as they were nearly always full at that point in the journey. This very attractive Angel was the mother of 2 kids and she was heading into St Georges to pick them up from her mother. She was extremely charming and told us a bit about her life in Grenada and how she felt it was a safe and friendly place to raise a family. She couldn’t have been a better ambassador for Grenada and it was an uplifting experience.



One or two examples of the nice flora on the trip.




The first waterfall.



A Crab, probably better suited to the conditions than us.



We are supposed to be having fun!



At least once you are soaked you can’t get any wetter!


As well as the occasional adventure we have been spending time doing work on the boat. Susan has spent quite a lot of time cleaning the hull, including removing the growth on the antifouling. The hull is now looking much better and we may have to start calling it white rather than cream. I have been doing quite a bit of rewiring, but I am still struggling to find out how running the fridge or water pumps can lower the voltage from the engine start battery!


We have been doing a bit of socialising with people we have met elsewhere, including Allan in Freya of Clyde. We also met up again with an Irish couple, Richard and Ailish and had a really good BBQ to celebrate one of their friends 30th wedding anniversary. Another Irish couple provided the entertainment as Shaun plays the guitar and sings and his German Irish wife plays the penny whistle.



Enjoying the entertainment.



Shaun, complete with my Australian Bush hat.


We are not sure how long we will stay in Grenada, but we are still enjoying it here and expect it to be at least another 2-3 weeks.