logo Swallow
Date: 01 Oct 2009 21:32:05
Title: The voyage continues

St Mary's Pool, Scilly      49:55.11N  006:18.82W

1 October


It's now 3 weeks since we arrived at Cardiff and, apart from a hour or so tacking up and reaching down Cardiff Bay with my parents and brother Michael a couple of weeks ago, the time has been spent entirely ashore.  So I was happy to be back on Swallow on Tuesday getting her ready for an early morning departure to The Scilly Isles, our first stop of the final leg to Dartmouth.  I'd taken the opportunity whist at Penarth Quays to have the Raymarine wind instruments fixed (this time for real) and a major engine service (240 hours).  The latter required a lift out to check/replace anodes and the yard carried out a few minor gel coat repairs to help fade some memories of Arklow.  So coming back to marina I found Swallow sitting in the lift rather than neatly tied to a pontoon.  First time for everything and driving out of the slings was fine if a little nerve-racking - no wind to speak of.


New crew Brian (not raining yet)


Ann delivered me to Cardiff but was happy to leave me to sail to Dartmouth with Brian Whitefoot, a friend and former AA/Deloitte Partner, whilst she headed back to Evenlode and London to start her MA.  With topsides and decks washed and gleaming and everything stowed we got ready for a 7am lock out from Cardiff Bay and the 165 mile passage to the Scillies.  The day started quietly, but we soon had some sail up motor sailing, and then off went the engine and we had a glorious sail in flat seas and modest winds onthe beam.  We soon were heading down the North Devon coast, past Lynmouth, Woolacombe and across Barnstaple Bay to Hartland Point, with Lundy to the west.  Then as night fell we tracked down the Cornish Coast, getting our first views of the Scillies around dawn.


Lundy Island


A very clear night with great starts and almost a full moon and ship everywhere.  We crossed a very busy shipping lane between Land's End and the Scillies and had been dodging a few ships that had set an almost identical route to me as we followed the coast down from Devon.  Once again we were thankful for the AIS and the ability it gives you to quickly separate the few potentially dangerous ships from the many.  Once clear of the shipping lane everything was much quieter, including the weather, so we motor sailed round St Mary's with lovely views across the Islands before coming  into the Pool and picking up a mooring around 10.30am.  Breakfasted and dingy launched, we went ashore for a wander round.  A very attractive island, quite busy with tourists but you could leave the town behind in a few minutes.  A good place to revisit and explore further sometime.  Tomorrow we head back to the mainland and Falmouth.


Portha Cressa at St Mary's


Diary Entries